ESP32 - Water/Liquid Valve
This tutorial instructs you how to control a liquid flow such as water, beer, oil by using ESP32 and a solenoid valve. It is the same for controlling gas flow.
Hardware Used In This Tutorial
|1||×||ESP-WROOM-32 Dev Module|
|1||×||Micro USB Cable|
|1||×||Liquid Solenoid Valve|
|1||×||12V Power Adapter|
|1||×||DC Power Jack|
|1||×||(Optional) 5V Power Adapter|
|1||×||(Optional) ESP32 Screw Terminal Adapter|
Introduction to Water/Liquid Valve
Solenoid Valve usually has two terminals:
- Positive (+) pin (red): needs to be connected to 12V of DC power supply
- Negative (-) pin (black or other): needs to be connected to GND of DC power supply
How Water/Liquid Valve works
Normally, the valve is closed. When 12V DC is applied to the two terminals, the valve opens and water/liquid can flow.
※ NOTE THAT:
- For some kinds of valve, there is a gasket arrangement inside, so there is a minimum pressure requires to open the valve (after 12V DC is applied). The pressure can be created by liquid flow.
- For some kinds of valve, liquid can only flow one direction.
How to Control Water/Liquid Solenoid Valve
If the valve is powered by 12V power supply, it opens. To control the valve, we need to use a relay in between ESP32 and valve. ESP32 can control the solenoid valve via the relay. Learn more about relay in the ESP32 - Relay tutorial
This image is created using Fritzing. Click to enlarge image
The below code repeatedly turns the water valve ON in five seconds and OFF in five seconds,
- Connect ESP32 to PC via USB cable
- Open Arduino IDE, select the right board and port
- Copy the above code and paste it to Arduino IDE
- Compile and upload code to ESP32 board by clicking Upload button on Arduino IDE
- Check the water flow
The above ESP32 code contains line-by-line explanation. Please read the comments in the code!
Making video is a time-consuming work. If the video tutorial is necessary for your learning, please let us know by subscribing to our YouTube channel , If the demand for video is high, we will make the video tutorial.