ESP32 - Touch Sensor Toggle Relay
This tutorial instructs you how to use ESP32 to toggle the a relay's state between ON and OFF when a touch sensor is touched. More specifically:
- If the touch sensor is touched, turn on the relay
- If the touch sensor is touched again, turn off the relay
- The above process is repeated over and over again
We can extend this tutorial to use the touch sensor to toggle the state of a solenoid, fan, light bulb, or actuator... by connnecting them to the relay.
Hardware Used In This Tutorial
Or you can buy the following sensor kit:
|1||×||DIYables Sensor Kit 30 types, 69 units|
Introduction to Relay and Touch Sensor
We have specific tutorials about relay and touch sensor. Each tutorial contains detailed information and step-by-step instructions about hardware pinout, working principle, wiring connection to ESP32, ESP32 code... Learn more about them at the following links:
This image is created using Fritzing. Click to enlarge image
If you're unfamiliar with how to supply power to the ESP32 and other components, you can find guidance in the following tutorial: How to Power ESP32.
ESP32 Code - Touch Sensor Toggles Relay
- If this is the first time you use ESP32, see how to setup environment for ESP32 on Arduino IDE.
- Do the wiring as above image.
- Connect the ESP32 board to your PC via a micro USB cable
- Open Arduino IDE on your PC.
- Select the right ESP32 board (e.g. ESP32 Dev Module) and COM port.
- Copy the above code and paste it to Arduino IDE.
- Compile and upload code to ESP32 board by clicking Upload button on Arduino IDE
- Keep touching the touch sensor several seconds and then release it.
- See the change of relay's state
Line-by-line Code Explanation
The above ESP32 code contains line-by-line explanation. Please read the comments in the code!
In the code, relayState = !relayState is equivalent to the following code:
Making video is a time-consuming work. If the video tutorial is necessary for your learning, please let us know by subscribing to our YouTube channel , If the demand for video is high, we will make the video tutorial.