ESP32 - Touch Sensor Toggle Relay
This tutorial instructs you how to use ESP32 to toggle the a relay's state between ON and OFF when a touch sensor is touched. More specifically:
- If the touch sensor is touched, turn on the relay
- If the touch sensor is touched again, turn off the relay
- The above process is repeated over and over again
We can extend this tutorial to use the touch sensor to toggle the state of a solenoid, fan, light bulb, or actuator... by connnecting them to the relay.
Hardware Used In This Tutorial
|1||×||ESP-WROOM-32 Dev Module|
|1||×||Micro USB Cable|
|1||×||Warning Light Bright Waterproof|
|1||×||12V Power Adapter|
Introduction to Relay and Touch Sensor
We have specific tutorials about relay and touch sensor. Each tutorial contains detailed information and step-by-step instructions about hardware pinout, working principle, wiring connection to ESP32, ESP32 code... Learn more about them at the following links:
This image is created using Fritzing. Click to enlarge image
ESP32 Code - Touch Sensor Toggles Relay
- If this is the first time you use ESP32, see how to setup environment for ESP32 on Arduino IDE.
- Do the wiring as above image.
- Connect the ESP32 board to your PC via a micro USB cable
- Open Arduino IDE on your PC.
- Select the right ESP32 board (e.g. ESP32 Dev Module) and COM port.
- Copy the above code and paste it to Arduino IDE.
- Compile and upload code to ESP32 board by clicking Upload button on Arduino IDE
- Keep touching the touch sensor several seconds and then release it.
- See the change of relay's state
Line-by-line Code Explanation
The above ESP32 code contains line-by-line explanation. Please read the comments in the code!
In the code, relayState = !relayState is equivalent to the following code:
Making video is a time-consuming work. If the video tutorial is necessary for your learning, please let us know by subscribing to our YouTube channel , If the demand for video is high, we will make the video tutorial.