ESP32 - Potentiometer Triggers LED
This tutorial instructs you how to use ESP32 with the potentiometer to control LED. In detail:
- The ESP32 automatically turns LED on if the potentiometer's analog value is above a threshold
- The ESP32 automatically turns LED off if the potentiometer's analog value is under a threshold
We also learn how to convert the analog value to voltage and then use the voltage threshold to control the LED:
- The ESP32 automatically turns LED on if the potentiometer's voltage is above a threshold.
- The ESP32 automatically turns LED off if the potentiometer's voltage is under a threshold.
If you want to control the brightness of LED by potentiometer, see ESP32 - potentiometer fades LED tutorial.
Hardware Used In This Tutorial
|1||×||ESP-WROOM-32 Dev Module|
|1||×||Micro USB Cable|
|1||×||220 ohm resistor|
Introduction to LED and Potentiometer
We have specific tutorials about LED and potentiometer. Each tutorial contains detailed information and step-by-step instructions about hardware pinout, working principle, wiring connection to ESP32, ESP32 code... Learn more about them at the following links:
This image is created using Fritzing. Click to enlarge image
ESP32 Code - Analog Threshold
- If this is the first time you use ESP32, see how to setup environment for ESP32 on Arduino IDE.
- Do the wiring as above image.
- Connect the ESP32 board to your PC via a micro USB cable
- Open Arduino IDE on your PC.
- Select the right ESP32 board (e.g. ESP32 Dev Module) and COM port.
- Copy the above code and paste it to Arduino IDE.
- Compile and upload code to ESP32 board by clicking Upload button on Arduino IDE
- Rotate the potentiometer
- See the change of LED's state
Line-by-line Code Explanation
The above ESP32 code contains line-by-line explanation. Please read the comments in the code!
ESP32 Code - Voltage Threshold
The analog value read from the potentiometer is converted to voltage, and then the voltage is compared to a voltage threshold. If it exceeds the threshold, it triggers LED
Making video is a time-consuming work. If the video tutorial is necessary for your learning, please let us know by subscribing to our YouTube channel , If the demand for video is high, we will make the video tutorial.