ESP32 - Control Pump
This tutorial instructs you how to use ESP32 to control a pump. You can extend this tutorial to build the DIY aquarium, cocktail machine, coffee machine, or irrigation system...
Hardware Used In This Tutorial
|1||×||ESP-WROOM-32 Dev Module|
|1||×||Micro USB Cable|
|1||×||12V Power Adapter|
|1||×||(Optional) 5V Power Adapter|
|1||×||(Optional) DC Power Jack|
|1||×||(Optional) ESP32 Screw Terminal Adapter|
Introduction to 12V Pump
A 12V Pump has two wires:
- Negative (-) wire (black): connect this wire to the negative wire of 12V DC power supply
- Positive (+) wire (red): connect this wire to the Positive wire of 12V DC power supply
How to Control Pump using ESP32
If we connect a 12V power supply to a pump, the pump will work. We can programmatically control a pump by using ESP32. To do so, we need a relay in between the pump ESP32 board. We have a specific tutorial about relay, which contains detailed information and step-by-step instructions about hardware pinout, working principle, wiring connection to ESP32, ESP32 code... Learn about relay in the ESP32 - Relay tutorial
Wiring Diagram between ESP32, Relay and Pump
This image is created using Fritzing. Click to enlarge image
ESP32 - Pump Code
The below code periodically turns the pump ON/OFF in every 4 seconds.
- If this is the first time you use ESP32, see how to setup environment for ESP32 on Arduino IDE.
- Do the wiring as above image.
- Connect the ESP32 board to your PC via a micro USB cable
- Open Arduino IDE on your PC.
- Select the right ESP32 board (e.g. ESP32 Dev Module) and COM port.
- Copy the above code and paste it to Arduino IDE.
- Compile and upload code to ESP32 board by clicking Upload button on Arduino IDE
- See the pump's state
Line-by-line Code Explanation
The above ESP32 code contains line-by-line explanation. Please read the comments in the code!
Making video is a time-consuming work. If the video tutorial is necessary for your learning, please let us know by subscribing to our YouTube channel , If the demand for video is high, we will make the video tutorial.