ESP32 - Software Installization
To program for ESP32 board, we need:
- A text editor to write the code (human-readable code)
- A compiler to compile the code (human-readable code) to the binary code (ESP32-understandable code)
- A programmer to upload the binary code to ESP32
It seems to be complicated ⇒ don't worry, The Arduino IDE does all for you. you just need to:
- Install this Arduino IDE
- Write the ESP32 code (human-readable code)
- Click a button on the Arduino IDE to compile and upload the code to ESP32 board.
Arduino IDE is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. We need to do the following steps:
- Download the Arduino IDE via this link and install it.
- After installing Arduino IDE, we can use it to program for Arduino immidiately. However, in order to program for ESP32, we need to do some environment configuration on Arduino IDE
- Open Arduino IDE
- Go to File Preferences on Arduino IDE
- Copy below text:
- Paste the coppied text into the Additional Board Manager URLs field as shown in the figure below. Then, click the OK button
※ NOTE THAT:
Note: In case you use the ESP8266 and ESP32, you can separate the URLs with a comma as follows:
- Open the Boards Manager by going to Tools Board Boards Manager
- Type “esp32”, then click Install button for the “ESP32 by Espressif Systems“
The software installation is done. The next step is to run first program on ESP32 board: ESP32 - Hello World program.